GIL Governance Document - 12 November 2010
Approved unanimously by RACL membership (April 17, 1998)
Revised and approved (October 21, 1998)
Revised and approved (April 16, 1999)
Revised and approved (March 11, 2005)
Revised and approved (November 12, 2010)
I. The Regents Academic Committee on Libraries (RACL) establishes the GIL Coordinating Committee for the GALILEO Interconnected Libraries (GIL) project. The UGA Service Site provides application and technical support for all libraries expect for Georgia Tech. Servers are housed at the UGA libraries, the Georgia State University Data Center, and the Georgia Tech Library. GIL uses the University System of Georgia Information Technology Services (ITS) Helpdesk for support and emergency requests.
- A. The RACL Executive Committee will provide oversight of GIL
- B. The following are members of the GIL Coordinating Committee:
a. RACL chair-elect, who will chair the Coordinating Committee
b. GIL Functional Committee chairs
c. GIL User’s Group (GUGM) chair and chair-elect
d. Two at-large members
e. Manager, GIL Technical Support, UGA Service Site (non-voting)
f. Executive Director of Library Services, University System of Georgia Information Technology Services (ITS) (non-voting)
- C. The GIL Coordinating Committee members will be appointed as follows:
a. RACL chair-elect (elected annually by RACL)
b. GIL Functional Committee chairs are selected by the RACL chair-elect, with the advice and consent of the RACL Executive Committee
c. GUGM chair and chair-elect are selected by the RACL chair-elect, with the advice and consent of the RACL Executive Committee
d. Two at-large members are appointed or re-appointed annually by the RACL chair, with the advice and consent of the RACL Executive Committee
- D. The duties of the GIL Coordinating Committee are as follows:
a. Recommend to the RACL Executive Committee the GIL policies and procedures.
b. Review and discuss issues that arise from implementation or change of the various GIL modules.
c. Address any issues with other resource-sharing activities that affect GIL and make recommendations as appropriate.
d. Apprise RACL when no consensus can be reached on the resolution of a problem.
e. Plan an annual GIL User’s Group meeting
- E. The duties of the GIL Functional Committees (ILL; Circulation/GIL Express; Cataloging; Acquisitions and Serials; OPAC; Special Collections; and Media Scheduling) are:
a. To provide suggestions and ideas for the GUGM meeting.
b. To share information.
c. To make recommendations regarding the functional area(s) to the GIL Coordinating Committee, RACL or other groups as appropriate.
d. Sometimes GIL Functional Committees may be tasked by the GIL Coordinating Committee or RACL for a specific project related to the functional area.
II. ITS will:
- A. Maintain a Helpdesk to provide a single point of contact, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to receive service requests and to log, track, and resolve support requests in addition to emergency, business interruption, or other production down situations which may occur after hours and on weekends.
- B. Develop written agreements as needed in consultation with the GIL Coordinating Committee and/or RACL Executive Committee to be signed by authorized institutional personnel, to ensure equitable and consistent support for all parties involved in the GIL project.
- C. Bill the libraries annually for the cost of software, hardware, support, and maintenance.
III. The Manager of GIL Technical Support reports to the Executive Director of Library Services, Information Technology Services, and will:
- A. Be responsible for ensuring that all software is properly received and tested.
- B. Coordinate path and upgrade installations including the distribution of patches and software as well as system–wide functional interface changes.
- C. Have a "working knowledge" of the UGA Service Site, the Georgia State Data Center and Operations, and Client sites.
- D.Act as the primary technical contact with the vendor and with the Georgia State Information Services and Technology Division and the Georgia Tech GIL Service Site and others as appropriate.
- E. Plan and work closely with the vendor to ensure successful operations and also be responsible for communicating vendor expectations to each Service Site/Client.
- F. Assist in writing system-wide report programs.
- G. Assist with module-level support.
- H. Distribute all documentation.
- I. Plan technical meetings as needed to ensure system-wide coordination of effort.
- J. Communicate plans for system-wide upgrades, and other issues as appropriate.
- K. Maintain effective communication with the local library site and others as appropriate.
- L. Visit the local library site at least every other year.
- M. Maintain secured network access.
- N.. Regularly backup data for their assigned local libraries.
- O. Install local server upgrades and patches in consultation with the local library.
- P. Utilize the hardware platform (dedicated server) recommended by the vendor; coordinate planning for replacement hardware; and maintain an inventory of equipment.
- Q. Ensure that system-wide specifications that affect local data and function are met.
- R. Consult with the vendor, third party vendors and local libraries; up-load and extract data as required.
- S. Provide module-level support to include reports.
- T. Maintain a help function for each Client’s site.
- U. Aid in the installation and maintenance of client software for the local Client as requested.
- V. Investigate new technologies that may be deployed to improve services.
- W. Serve as primary contact for interface with the ITS Helpdesk.
IV. The Georgia Tech Service Site Coordinator will:
- A. Maintain effective communication with the Georgia Tech Library and the Manager of GIL Technical Support, UGA Service Site and others as appropriate.
- B. Maintain secured network access in conjunction with the Manager of GIL Technical Support
- C. Regularly backup data for the Georgia Tech Library.
- D. Install local server upgrades and patches in consultation with the Manager of GIL Technical Support and the Georgia Tech Library.
- E. Utilize the hardware platform (dedicated server) recommended by the vendor.
- F. Ensure that system-wide specifications that affect local data and function are met.
- G. Consult with the vendor, third party vendors, and the Georgia Tech Library; up-load and extract data as required.
- H. Provide module-level support to include reports.
- I. Maintain a help function for each Client’s site.
- J. Aid in the installation and maintenance of client software for the local Client as requested.
V. The Library Contact at the Client Site will:
- A. Communicate additions or modification(s) of their library computers to their Service Site Coordinator.
- B. Manage their library functions.
- C. Generate and create local library reports.
- D. Be responsible for the distribution and replication of documentation.
- E. Provide data to Service Provider site as required.
- F. Ensure that local data meets system-wide specifications.
- G. Maintain effective communications about GIL to the local library.
VI. Official Grievances should be submitted only:
- A. When the level of service, the quality of work, the cooperative nature of the relationship or the response time of either a Service Site or the Client site is not acceptable.
- B. After an attempt has been made by all parties involved to "work through" the problem(s), including direct communication with the parties involved.
- C. In writing.
- D. To the Executive Director of the Library Services, ITS, with copies to the Manager of GIL Technical Support, and the Chair of the GIL Coordinating Committee.